It’s been 10 years today since Berwick Lodge opened its doors for the first time as a hotel. Happy anniversary us!
As with any business we’ve had ups and downs but essentially Fevzi and I are super proud to have opened in a recession and still be here now to celebrate our 10 year anniversary! Sometimes it feels like only yesterday and sometimes it feels like we’ve been here forever! Here’s the story so far
With a few more wrinkles and grey hairs than in 2008, I bring you some information, history, fun facts and photos about the last decade at Berwick..
- Our most popular question without doubt is always ‘what is the history of the place‘ (at least twice a day!)
- The bedding has been changed over 25,000 times
- Our TripAdvisor score is 4.5/5, awarding us with a Certificate of Excellence each year
- Over 300 weddings have been held at Berwick
- Over 100 couples have proposed to their loved one in our romantic restaurant and grounds
- 9 celebrities have stayed with us – can you guess who?
- Almost 80 staff have worked here over the 10 years, including our ex-Royal gardener. Many of the current 29 staff have been here for years or come back to us seasonally when they’re back from university
- There have been 5 head chefs
- The AA has awarded our restaurant 2AA rosettes for the last 6 years and we’re hoping for a 3rd !
- There’s only one Monty! Our house dog
- Berwick is an AA ***** Gold Star ‘Restaurant with Rooms’ – the first grading of its kind in Bristol
- It took 7 years for the council to agree to Berwick Lodge appearing on a brown road sign (aaagh!)
- Filming has taken place on location here, for national TV shows and adverts for international brands
- I’ve worn out 5 pairs of my faithful old Doctor Martens (my step count is huge from working on the floor!)
- Berwick has appeared in national newspapers like The Telegraph & The Times
- Our unique bedrooms made it into The Michelin Guide for accommodation
Below are some photos from over the years..