At The Berwick Lodge, we are committed to providing the highest standards of service to all of our guests. We endeavour to ensure that all employees, guests and others who use the hotel are treated equally and according to their needs. By recognising and catering for our guests’ individual requirements sensitively and effectively, we hope to make everyone’s stay at our hotel an enjoyable one.
This access statement has been developed to address some of the more common issues that people with disabilities face and recognises this may include guests with mobility, hearing, sight or learning impairment, or any hidden impairment.
We request that anyone wishing to make an enquiry or booking inform us of any special needs or disabilities that they may have, in order for us to meet or adapt to personal requirements. All staff are fully trained to assist disabled guests with empathy and in a professional manner.
- Enquiries and reservations may be made by telephone, fax, email, post or online through our website.
- Directions to the hotel can be found in our brochure or on our website under the ‘about us’ section. Alternatively we can post, fax or email them.
- The nearest shops are located in the beautiful stannary market town of Tavistock, situated approximately 3.7 miles from the hotel.
- Public transport The nearest railway station is Gunnislake which is approximately 2 miles away. The hotel is not easily accessible by bus. There are several taxi companies available in the local area and we would be delighted to book them on your behalf. These taxi services operate from Tavistock rather than from Gunnislake, so pre-booking is advised to avoid any delay.
- Our reception team are more than happy to assist with any of your travel arrangements and can offer guidance on planning your journey to best suit your individual needs.
- Pets are welcome in the coach house rooms 5 – 10 at a charge of £10 per night; we request that this is mentioned at the time of booking.
- Our head chef is happy to personally adapt menus for all allergies, dietary requirements and any particular likes or dislikes. Please advise us of these before your arrival.
- Families are welcome. We are more than happy to supply cots, z-beds, children’s high tea, high chairs and booster seats. Baby changing facilities are available in the ladies’ WC. Please let us know in advance what you need, so that we can ensure everything is in place ahead of your arrival.
- All our bedding (pillows and duvets) is hyper allergenic. Blankets and sheets are available if you prefer, again please just let us know in advance.
On arrival at the hotel
- On arrival at the hotel there is a drop off point outside the main entrance, with reserved parking at the front door on request.
- Complimentary car parking spaces are located along the right and left hand side of the hotel, some of which are marked with white lines.
- Overflow parking is available along the gravelled area opposite the spaces marked with white lines and is also free of charge.
- The front entrance to the hotel has three steps that are unsuitable for a wheelchair.
- There is a ramp access to the hotel through the kitchen door. We request that an approximate arrival time is given so that the staff can ensure the ramp is in place.
- There is always a member of staff available at reception to help with luggage, wheelchair access, pushchairs or for any other assistance which may be required.
- Guests are escorted to their room and shown the layout of the public areas enroute.
- The Reception desk is located on the ground floor of the main house and stands at 115 cm meters high.
- The floor is polished wood and suitable for wheelchair users.
- Registration can be completed whilst sitting either adjacent to the desk or in the drawing room. Clipboards are available.
- An Induction Loop is available for use at the reception desk
- Pens, paper and a magnifying glass are available on request
- Unfortunately, partly due to the age of the building (1860), we do not provide lift access to any part of the hotel. However, 7 guestrooms are located on the ground floor
- The Drawing room, Restaurant and Public WC s are all located on the ground floor of the main house.
- The library is situated on the first floor of the main house and accessible only by the main staircase – 12 steps.
- Selected cubicles in the main toilets have been fitted with grab rails.
- Baby changing facilities are located in the ladies WC
- There are a number of fire doors along the main corridor from reception to the restaurant and toilets. They are all held on magnetic catches.
- All corridors are well lit and are either carpeted or polished floors.
- All corridors are wide enough for wheelchairs and pushchairs to pass with ease.
- Full waiter service is provided at breakfast, lunch and dinner, with large menu print available on request.
- There is ample moveable seating in the restaurant and chairs are provided either with or without arms. High chairs, booster seats and cushions are available on request.
- The restaurant tables are lit by ceiling spotlights and by candles; additional lighting can be provided on request.
- Background music is played in the restaurant and drawing room during lunch and dinner service. This can be dimmed on request.
- The fire alarm system is a continuous sonic bell and does not have flashing lights. Assistance is given if evacuation is necessary.
- Free wifi access is available throughout the hotel.
All of our bedrooms are unique with varying special features. All rooms have Vi Spring beds, an LCD TV and DVD player, towelling robes, toiletries and bottled water. Personal mini bar and tea and coffee making facilities are at hand, with fresh milk in the fridge.
It is recommended that you discuss your requirements in depth with reservations at the time of booking to ensure that the most suitable room for your requirements is allocated to you.
- The hotel’s accommodation is split between the Main House and the Coach House
- There are 4 guestrooms available in the Main House, all of which are situated on the first floor and are accessible only by stairs.
- The remaining 12 guestrooms are located in the Coach House, of which 7 are situated on the ground floor and are accessible by wheelchair.
- The Coach House is located circa 50 meters to the rear of the main house.
- The route between the Coach House and the Main House is well lit and flat. It is part- paved, part tarmac. Umbrellas are provided.
- Guestrooms are not self locking. Traditional door locks and keys are used for securing each room.
- All but 3 of the hotel guestrooms have stand alone showers ,and all but 2 have baths.
- All rooms can accommodate a double or a twin bed. 14 of the rooms can also accommodate an additional z bed or cot.
- Non slip bath mats are provided in each of our guestrooms
- Shower chairs are available on request.
- Our reception team have extensive knowledge of the hotel rooms and surrounding areas and will happily and honestly advise you on accommodation options that will best suit your requirements.
- The hotel has one specifically designed disabled room , Room 5.
- Located in the Coach House, it has been designed with ample space to move a wheelchair around.
- It can be twin or double bedded.
- The TV is wall mounted and the wardrobe has been fitted at an appropriate height.
- The ensuite is a shower room (wet room style) with plastic chair or stool available if required, ample grab rails and a toilet and basin at correct height for wheelchair access. It also has a bath.
- Access is via ramped entry
- Door width is 95cm
- Toilet height is 47cm
- Wash basin height is 86cm
- Bath height is 53cm
- Grab rails are fitted around the bath, shower and toilet areas
- Switches and sockets are 50 cm from the floor
Gardens and Grounds
- Wheelchair access is provided to our front lawn area by way of a pathway
- Access to the Victorian Walled Garden is across a 4ft gravelled stretch. A ramp across the gravel can be put in place on request.
We encourage our guests and visitors, whether disabled or otherwise, to bring any accessibility issues at The Berwick Lodge to our attention. We will always welcome suggestions and will work to address their concerns, for their benefit and for the benefit of all our future guests and visitors.